Page 2 of 3
Reasons for orthodontic treatment (braces) adults & children:
- Breathing or swallowing problems. Mouth breathing can lead to snoring and sleep apnea.
- Crossbite. One or more upper teeth bite inside the lower teeth (towards the tongue).
- Crowding involving extra teeth or malpositioned teeth.
- Deep Overbite. The lower front teeth bite into the upper tissue of the upper teeth.
- Disfiguring of the face & mouth affecting the development of the jaw and position of the teeth.
- Jaw & jaw joint pain
- Missing or extra teeth due to tooth decay, injuries, or inherited problems.
- Overjet (protruding upper teeth). Upper teeth that protrude beyond normal and are usually associated with a short lower jaw.
- Self-image. An attractive smile can boost a person’s self-image and confidence.
- Spacing between teeth. Teeth are missing or may be too small or too large.
- Speech, chewing or biting problems
- Underbite (lower jaw protrusion). Lower jaw is longer than the upper jaw.
Specific to children:
- Finger or thumb sucking habits can cause protrusion of the upper incisor teeth, and mouth breathing.
- Teeth erupting out of position can be guided to proper alignment.